Berlin Brandenburg Gate A Symbol Of Peace
The Brandenburg Gate is a most famous iconic landmark in Berlin. The monumental gate was constructed during the cold war in the 18th century as a symbol of peace. The gate is located near the border just between West Berlin and East Berlin. Even today, it stands proudly as a symbol of the divided city. It is the first landmark which comes in mind when you think of Germany. It is considered as a National Symbol and plays a significant role in German history.
About the Brandenburg Gate
The Brandenburg came into spotlight after the sad event of the Cold War; it then became the symbol of the division of Berlin and Germany. It was constructed between East and West Germany, as a part of the impassable Berlin Wall. It became a symbol of reunified Berlin soon after the Berlin Wall fell in the year 1989.
The Gate is located at end point of Unter Den Linden, where a grand boulevard cuts from the center of Berlin. It was originally just a wall surrounding the Berlin, but then gradually became a significant place and the main entrance to the city.
The Gate was specially made by Emperor William II as a replacement structure for the old gate. Carl Gotthard Langhans, the Architect designed the new gate, which measures 28-meters tall and 65 meters wide, as a gateway to the Acropolis of Athens. The construction of Gate started in the year 1778, and then officially it was opened in the year 1791 for public. The Gate has decorations of Greek mythology which took other 4-years to complete.
The huge Gate has 5-passages, central are the widest which was previously reserved for royal people, while the adjacent were used by the aristocracy while ordinary people were only allowed to use the other two passages.
The Quadriga of victory crowning was created by Johann Gottfried Schadow in the year 1793. The chariot with four horses was driven by the winged goddess of peace. Then in 1806, the British occupied French troops and ordered Quadriga to be taken to Paris. When the Battle was won by defeating Napoleon at Battle of Waterloo, Quadriga was victoriously taken to Berlin, which was then declared as a symbol of victory. Also a square near gate was named as ‘Praser Platz’ which is now called Victoria.
Post World War II
The Brandenburg Gate, Berlin was badly damaged during the World War II. The gate was then repaired between 1956 – 1958, by East and West Berlin Funds. The reconstruction of Quadriga was done from an original mold; also the symbol of Prussia was removed by Communist regime.
After a peaceful reunification, the Gate was repaired and refurbished in the year 2000. Today, it is considered as most visited Landmark in Europe and Germany.