Schonbrunn Palace An Imperial Residence
The Schonburnn Palace in Vienna in Austria was the imperial residence. The palace has a glorious history that dates back about 300 years. This spacious palace with 1441 rooms was the summer residential palace of the former dynasty. The sprawling palace, the 1441 rooms, Baroque Palace is a classic masterpiece of lovely cultural, architectural and historic monument. The palace is a major centre of attraction for the tourists and are being visited by a large number of visitors from all over the world.
Roman Emperor Maximillan II purchased a vast stretch of land in the area of river Wien, beneath the hill and located between Hietzing and Meidling. The area had mansion in this area which is known as Katterburg. The Sovereign surrounded the area with fencing and reared animals and exotic birds in this area, so that the area could well be used by the Royals as a hunting ground. There were fishponds developed also. The water used by the royals was from the artesian well, and the name Schonbrunn is derives from this.
The area was used as recreation ground and hunting for more than a century. The origin of Schonbrunn orangery dates back to Eleonora Gonzaga, who spent much of her time hunting in this area. From the year 1638 to 1643 she added a palace to the earlier Katterburg mansion.
The present form of the Schonbrunn Palace was constructed in 18th century between 1740 and 1750, during the rule of Ruler Maria Theresa. Franz Joseph, who ruled Austria for the longest tenure was born at Schonbrunn and lived majority of time in this Palace till the age of 86. After the collapse of the Habsburg dynasty in the year 1918- November, the property was attached to the Austrian Republic. This was conserved as a museum.
It was after the World War II, the Schonbrunn Palace was used by the British to provide workplaces for the British assignment and served as headquarters for the British garrison positioned in Vienna. Since, the reinstatement of the Austrian Republic in the year 1955 the Palace again became known museum. In 1961, the premises were used for the event of a meeting between the two giants President of the United States, John F. Kennedy and Nikita Khrushchev the Soviet premier in the year 1961. UNESCO included this Palace in the World Heritage List in the year 1996.
Depth Detail of Palace
The Palace and its vast garden, aptly reflect the changing tastes and interests of the successive monarchs from the Habsburg dynasty. There is a French garden planned by Jean Trehet in 1695, whereas the sculpted garden space between the Sun Fountain and the Palace is termed as Great Parterre. The area on the west side of the castle was marked as playground and kept for the drill of the siblings of the Habsburg rulers.
The complex holds many more attractions for the visitors. Schonbrunn is the most popular and highly visited place in Austria. The entire Schonbrunn complex has many tourist attractions such as Tiergarten Schonbrunn, Palmenhaus, Wustenhaus and the Wagenburg. The entry tickets can be purchased from their official website in advance for the tours and other packages. Every year summer night Concert is held here.
The garden and the palace have been used as a shooting location of many film production houses.